Thursday, June 12, 2008

Language

Just to write something that caught my mind.

I was busy replying some mails when I came across this well-written mail in BM.

excerpts:

Sehubungan dengan itu bantuan pihak tuan adalah diperlukan untuk membuat beberapa konfigurasi yang sewajarnya supaya ...
..
..
Pihak kami amat mengalu-ngalukan kepakaran serta nasihat teknikal daripada pihak tuan sekiranya kaedah imlementasi di atas dirasakan kurang sesuai atau sebagainya.
Maklumkan semula kepada pihak kami jika ada perkara-perkara lain sebagai tambahan yang perlu dilakukan.


Ok. How to put this ya? I am not very good in English, but I find extremely hard to reply mails in BM. I mean, for IT field, it is kinda weird, isn't it? There are lots of terms that we use daily in English, and how on earth I want to put it in BM. Of course I can translate directly words to words but in a sentence? It's pretty challenging I tell ya.

Yes I know I can easily answer him in English but another thing that bothering me is, I don't want to give this impression, 'Helooo busuk sgt ke ur Malay sampai u kenot reply in BM' or 'gila perasan bagus minah ni reply in mat salleh'.


It's not easy.


So I wrote halfway like this:

Konfigurasi telah selesai dilakukan..
..
..

Dari segi setting dan kaedah implementasi, semuanya nampak baik dan tidak mendatangkan masalah



Then I paused a while and reread my lines like thousand times to make sure it is right, and sounds right!

But I still rasa my answer horrrorrrr okkkk.

So I cancel it and write this:

Configuration completed and effective immediately.
..
..
As for technical setting and implementation, all looks ok and should be no problem for both sides.


Don't you think it sounds simple and better? I hope he won't see it as an offense.




.

5 comments:

  1. hey sis. ok what your BM. i understand. hehehe. but dunno la kan that person who sent the email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahah.. we share the same dilemma la woman but good thg my industry doesnt require much of malay writing. u know how miserable i'd be evertime kena buat BM translation kan. smpi kena stayback kat office smpi kul 2 pagi!!!! ingat takk waktu itu? mana boleh me miserable sorang2 kan :P

    ya la..for some reasons, english just much simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nur, you understand tapi serious mcm pelikkk okkk hehehe

    Bee, betul!!! Seriously..tak boleh blahhh okk email in BM. Campur2 still acceptable. Lain la kalau kita dlm bidang lingua franca ke pusat pengajian bahasa melayu ke, baru lah okkk kann :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. ehem..ehem..meh me modified sket ur ayat:

    "proses konfigurasi telah dilakukan dan berefektif serta merta.

    dari segi pengaturan dan implementasi ianya dalam keadaan baik tanpa sebarang masalah"

    ok tak? ;)
    me pernah part time ajar BM utk foreigner during my varsity time dolu2..ngeh..ngeh..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahaha..ok ok! Tapi serious me still awkward a bit. After all, it's the only 1 out of 100 mails yg tulis in BM. Giler proper that guy.

    Ps: The foreigner passed tak? :P

    ReplyDelete